Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Disney Bookshelf: The Imagineering Field Guide to Disney's Hollywood Studios

There are plenty of factoids in this book, mostly listed under the "Quick Takes" sections of various topics, that I didn't know. Most of them I won't remember. But there were some larger items that will undoubtedly stick with me. Not a ton of them, but a few.

So here's my list of "Stuff I didn't know about DHS (and learned from the Field Guide):

  • The concept for DHS came from the Eisner/Wells management team, and was originally envisioned as an entertainment pavilion for Epcot's future World.

  • The architecture in the park is of the Streamline Moderne style.

  • The initial liner acceleration portion of the Rock'n'Roller Coaster ride serves to bring the ride to a seperate show building far enough away from the Tower of Terror so that it doesn't compete with the view dominated by the Tower in that part of the park.

  • Four theaters from around Hollywood are represented on Sunset Boulevard: The Warner Beverly Hills Theater, the Academy Theater, the Hollywood Bowl, and the Carthay Circe Theater.

  • Each player in Toy Story Midway Mania is "handicapped" in the target practice round, with difficulty levels for the rest of the experience being determined by how well individual riders do in that round of play.

  • There is an interactive umbrella on the Big City Streets that lets guests do a Gene Kelly impression. It has a switch that triggers a little downpour over you for a good photo opportunity. (I have never noticed this when visiting the park!)


  • There is a lot of good information in this book; maybe not as much as some of the other Field Guides, but still, it's a fun read. Those six items stood out to me as things I didn't know but thought were pretty fascinating.

    *****

    1 comment:

    Mario P said...

    TSM... I did not know that but now I wonder how well I really did given that I was given an initiate handicap... so much for thinking I was better than my 7 year old, :^)