Monday, November 10, 2008

Disney and St. Louis

Before Walt Disney World was built in Florida, it was reported that Disney had an interest in St. Louis as the site of their next development. Walt was, after all, from Missouri, and he was interested in city planning. The idea was to build the park along the Mississippi riverfront, in the area, I believe, that today is home to the entertainment district known as "The Landing".

I'm sure this isn't news to anyone knowledgeable about the history of Disney. But it is interesting to me, in that the company was willing to take the chance on building in, while not exactly the frozen north, a city where the climate is not always favorable to such an attraction. "Imagineering" a cold weather park interests me a great deal. (I may "think out loud" in future entries about the subject...or not...)

Here's links to a couple articles I found:

THE LEDGER - St. Louis Original Home to Disney

"Piece of Shep" blog

Jim Hill Media - Why Western River Went South

St. Louis Construction News and Real Estate - Put on Your Ears

If I find more articles I'll add more links.

No comments: