Monday, May 17, 2010

Bits and Pieces...

Our doorbell isn't working, so the small package we found when we opened the front door, a Fed Ex delivery that they just left behind a planter, was only a bit of a surprise. And it contained my gift for renewing my D23 membership: a Charter Member pin. I'd include a photo of it, but I just didn't take one yet. Maybe tomorrow. Anyway, it's a nice big pin, and since we've become pin collectors of sorts, it will make a nice addition to the binder we keep the nicer ones in.

*****

We had some friends over yesterday, and got to talking about Disney with the young (well, younger than WE are) couple. They have an 18 month old and a 4 year old. My wife was telling her friend that they should start thinking about going to Disney, maybe not this year, but next. It got me to thinking: What's too young? I mean, an 18 month old isn't going to get a whole lot out of a trip to Disney. If anything, she may put a cramp in the rest of the family's enjoyment, since she would need nap time and need to eat at times that everyone else might not. On the other hand, she'll probably just sleep through a bunch of it anyway.

I remember that, on our first visit to Disney in Florida, my younger son (now 7) was just turned two a couple months earlier. He didn't get much out of it, and in fact he was sort of scared of many of the rides like Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Caribbean. He did seem to like 'it's a small world', the train ride, Dumbo, and the Pooh ride, and I do think that he had some good memories of the trip, as on our next trip (about two years later), he said he remembered some rides. (He was 4 then.) I don't know if he did, but HE thought he did. Still thinks he does, because we've gone more often since that second trip, and he brings stuff up about the first time he rode this ride or that ride.

So maybe next year is a good time for them to go. Even if there aren't specific memories, there is the memory of the fun that you all have as a family.

If anyone has any thoughts on the subject, I'm all ears (so to speak...).

*****

No comments: