Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Disney's Hollywood Studios

The Chicago Tribune had a big article in their Travel section on Sunday, called "20 Secrets of Disney's Hollywood Studios", and there were some intersting factoids in it. Perhaps these are common knowledge among Disneyphiles, but I never knew several of the numbered bits of information.

For example, I didn't know that the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror actually drops you at a faster rate than the force of gravity would cause, because it uses its cables to pull the elevators up and down faster than free fall would cause. That's why, I guess, it is such a better thrill than, say the Maliboomer, which was, for me, pretty lame after the fast takeoff.

I also didn't know that the Rock'n'Roller Coaster was an outdoor rollercoaster. The coaster was constructed first, then the building was constructed around it. I wasn't sure how many loops and inversions there were on it; for some reason, I thought it was around 5. But no, the correct number is 3: Two rollerover loops and a corkscrew. And the G-forces experienced by riders as they enter the first inversion is between 4 and 5 G's, more than astronauts feel.

I knew there was a "Hidden Mickey" which was visible from airspace, but I can't make it out on the maps of the park, nor can I make it out real well on Google. But the article has a photo from the pre-Hat time, and you can clearly see his face. The BAH covers up the nose, or so the article states.

I also didn't know that the longest lasting parade at the park was the Disney Stars and Motor Cars extravaganza, which ran for 6 1/2 years and ended in March of 2008. I never did get to see it. The first parade was Aladdin's Royal Caravan, and the current parade is the Block Party Bash.

There's no water in the Earful Tower.

There are several other factoids that are interesting, but not as "new" to me. Good article. If you'd like to view it, click here.

2 comments:

David Landon said...

Stars & Motor Cars was probably my favorite parade. I've got some pictures of it somewhere; I'll have to post them.

Is BAH and acronym for Big-Ass Hat?

Scott said...

Re: BAH...that's the one.

I'd love to see some of the pictures from that parade. I wish we would have taken the time to see it when we were there.